Welcome to Miami

by Ada on January 30, 2010

Hello everyone! We are here in sunny Miami reveling in the sun and admiring the beautiful people. I feel more relaxed than I have in ages and am enjoying every moment of it:) This has to be a quickie post again since the WiFi is spotty and we have a dinner reservation soon.
After we landed yesterday we drove into Miami to have a quick dinner. We parked but realized we didn’t have enough change for the meter. To remedy this problem we stopped to get pre-dinner dessert. We grabbed a small cup of passion fruit yogurt topped with mochi and consumed it en route to the restaurant.

We ended up eating at a Japanese restaurant called Mochi Mochi, which turned out to be a great selection.

My travel companion/friend/running buddy
After a day of travelling we were both hangry and began with salmon ceviche
Yellowtail tiradito
A heavenly roll containing lobster tempura. Enough said.
A huge roll laden with eel
My friend also ordered a Japanese pancake containing squid, shrimp and topped with fish flakes. It was unlike anything I’ve previously consumed and was quite tasty.
We then drove an hour to my Aunt and Uncle’s home in Boca Raton. My aunt was super sweet and stocked up her fridge with amazing goodies, including MaraNatha almond butter
Her home is absolutely gorgeous and lies on a lake. It was so relaxing to wake up and look onto the water.
Mid-morning my Grandma and dad came over for brunch. Brunch included my favorite Greek yogurt
My Aunt knows me way too well and stocked up on every fruit imaginable. Fruit is my favorite food in the whole world, so you can imagine how excited I was. The array included kiwi
Mango
Fresh lychees picked off her tree
Papaya
Strawberries and star fruit (picked off her tree)
Smoked salmon
A whole smoked white fish
Cheese and bagels
Tomatoes
Whitefish salad
Pumpkin bread
What a spread, right?
My grandma’s pooch also partook in the fun
I loaded up my plate with fruit because I can never resist it. I also had some smoked whitefish and lox. My Aunt also gave me some persimmons and cactus fruit to try which were both delicious. In the next post I’ll show you a picture of the cactus fruit because it was absolutely gorgeous.
Thank you so much, Debbie and Max, for hosting us last night!
Later in the afternoon we drove to Miami to pick up our race packets and check into our hotel. We stopped for gelato in a cute little store along Lincoln Road. I ordered the hazelnut and espresso flavors which were the perfect texture and consistency.
Now we’re off for an early dinner and then it’s off to bed before our 3AM wake-up call. Yikes! I hope everyone is having a great weekend:)

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Marina January 30, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Have fun in Miami! I wish I was in Florida with this cold weather here in NY!

Food Makes Fun Fuel January 30, 2010 at 11:37 pm

This looks amazing! I'm jealous of your fish and fruit. You'll find frozen dessert wherevery you go ;-P

marathonmaiden January 30, 2010 at 11:43 pm

ummmm can i say i hate you but have it come from a loving friendly place?! looks like miami is treating you really well so far. can you send some of that weather up here to new england? haha

Jess January 31, 2010 at 12:07 am

Everything looks so good!! I loveeee mango. Delicious looking froyo!
<3 jess
xoxo

Jenna January 31, 2010 at 2:33 am

Super jealous!
Your fro yo and ice cream look yummy!
The sushi looks amazing- you always have the best!
Your aunt knows you well- great brunch spread!
Jenna

Cole January 31, 2010 at 2:46 am

All that fresh fruit looks so amazing! And of course I'm jealous of your fro yoa, as usual.

Good luck tomorrow!

ktbwood January 31, 2010 at 2:46 am

girl im so jelous of your froyo creations!!

Katie January 31, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Oh my lordy, that Japanese food! That fresh fruit! That little pup! Sounds like such a fun time, A. Good luck today!

Astra Libris January 31, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Thank you so much for your incredibly sweet comment on my blog! :-) You made my day! :-)

Your trip sounds positively delicious! :-) SO cool that you aunt has a lychee tree and a start fruit tree in her yard! Wow!! Ah, I can't wait to move further south… :-) An avocado tree is my dream… :-)

Looking forward to hearing more about your Miami adventures!!

Anna January 31, 2010 at 6:47 pm

I am SO jealous of your trip! I totally forget what it is like to be warm haha. And that is so kind and awesome of your family to be so hospitable and accommodating to your needs.

Hope the 3 a.m. wake up goes ok :)

findinghappinessandhealth January 31, 2010 at 7:11 pm

i am soooo so jealous of you right now!!! all hte eats look delicious- LOVE the japanese food and star fruit

xoxo
shelley

Katie February 9, 2010 at 12:02 am

I should ask you for an autograph miss triathafoodie! I'm goona try avacado! closing my eyes. . . tasting . . . still disgusting!